Sunday, September 15, 2013

Photoshop saves an old friend

''Koi and Water Lilies''  - 36'' x 40''  
I was recently asked to have some cards made from my artwork, including this painting, which has been back in my studio since the early 1990's.  It  was sent with other paintings to  a gallery in Kauai.  Later, the gallery closed just days before Hurricane Iniki hit the Island!  The painting was taken off the stretcher bars, rolled and mailed back to me, which caused some serious cracks. Other paintings returned fine.   One larger painting of Vanda Orchids wasn't so lucky - went to a house on the coast, near Poipu, that was completely swept away in the storm.
Fast forward two decades!  I sprayed this painting with matte spray, photographed it, and used the magic of Photoshop to salvage the image.  
Maybe I'll look for the photo of those Vanda Orchids  one day...

3 comments: